June 24, 2019
If you haven’t been in the market for a skateboard until now, you might still think they are the boards you control with your feet – old fashioned, that is to say. This couldn’t be further from the truth. Now they have motors, can go over 20 mph, and are controlled via a wireless remote control. But how do you know which one is the best for you?
Boosted was started by a couple of grad students in 2012, who were looking for a better way to get to their classes. The result was their Mini line of boards, including the Mini X. This design is similar to their other Mini boards, but is extra lightweight, very fast, and gives you a great ride even on an incline.
The Boosted Mini X makes a regular skateboard look like a toy. It hits speeds up to 20 mph, has three different ride modes, and on a full battery, it can travel up to 14 miles.
Built of poplar wood and wrapped in fiberglass, the Mini X offers a smooth and stable experience. Its concaved shape helps to ensure your feet are locked in place, so there’s no danger of feeling wobbly.
No need to worry about steep hills either. With a 20 percent gradient, you’ll have no problem going up the steepest incline in your area.
The charge time isn’t bad, all considered – at only 1 hour and 45 minutes. The Mini X also has regenerative braking. When you slow down, the battery will slowly charge.
About the Wireless Control System
The remote for the Boosted Mini X skateboard not only controls the three different ride modes, but it also controls Boosted’s patented “Jerk Filter.” This filter ensures that when you accelerate or brake in any of the three modes, it is done gradually, so you aren’t jerked around or sent flying off the board.
The controller is the same pistol-style model that’s offered with most electric skateboards and almost all of Boosted’s boards. To start the motor, you simply pull the engage trigger back and then use the wheel on the remote to speed up or slow down.
To change modes, you need to stop the board and then scroll through your options. The remote will beep 1-3 times depending on the mode you’ve chosen; one for Beginner, two for Eco, and three for Expert mode.
You can charge the remote using a USB mini. You can also check the battery life of the board from the remote. Just turn on the board and the light indicator on the remote will tell you how much power is still left on the battery.
While the price is a little high, at just under $1000, you get several quality features for your money.
Why Pick the Boosted Mini X Electric Skateboard?
An electric skateboard is perfect for anyone who is traveling short distances – to work, around campus, or while running a few errands.
You can ride around the traffic and get to your destination in no time. With the 14 miles range, the Booised Mini X skateboard can get you anywhere you need to go, as long as it’s not too far away.
Once you reach your destination, you can plug in the remote and the board; with a charge time of a little under two hours, it will be full charged in no time. But plugging in the board is not the only way to charge it.
Since this board has regenerative braking, when you slow down, especially on an incline, the battery will charge a little bit. This helps extend how far you can travel.
While it may be a bit on the expensive side, there are many helpful features included in your purchase.
Whether you need to get to work or just want to run a few errands, the Mini X will get you from point A to point B without any issues whatsoever.
- Secure braking at high speed
- Great at turns
- Great on steep hills
- Responsive remote
- Not enough flex
- Cheap-looking remote
- Motor malfunction issues
- Rattles on most terrain
- Bumpy ride on uneven terrain
- A bit expensive
How to Ride the Boosted Mini X Skateboard
Whether or not you’ve ridden an electric skateboard before, the Boosted Mini X is easy to figure out, so long as you observe a few tips:
- Charge the remote and board: Plug the USB cord into the remote and charge it until the battery is full. To charge the board, simply use the cord to plug the battery pack into any available outlet. Do not keep the battery pack connected to the board when charging.
- Power on the board and remote: To turn on the remote, press the multi-function button for two seconds until it lights up. For the board, press the power button on the underside for two seconds. When the two are paired, the indicator light on the remote will turn blue.
- Pairing issues: If they don’t pair automatically, press the multi-function button five times and press the power button on the board five times. That will send out the signal for the two to sync and the indicator light will turn blue.
- Step up: Put on your helmet and step onto the board. Be sure your stance is adequately wide, so you remain balanced. Don’t press any of the buttons on the remote or move the throttle until you are comfortable standing on the board while it’s not in motion.
- Choose your ride mode: Tap the multi-function button on the remote three times to scroll through the different ride modes. The modes are based on your level of expertise: Beginner, Eco (medium acceleration with a top speed of 16 mph), and Expert.
- Speed up: Hold the engage button down and slowly move the throttle wheel forward until you reach a speed you’re comfortable with. Then go for a ride! If you choose the Expert mode, remember the throttle is far more sensitive. Be even more careful with how much you move it forward.
- Braking: To slow down or brake, gently move the wheel back toward you. If you move the throttle back to face, there’s a chance of being thrown from the board.
- Battery Life: Make sure to keep an eye on the battery while you’re out. To check the battery life while you’re on the road (or at home), simply press the multi-function button once on the remote. The more indicators that light up, the more battery life you still have left. You can also check it on the board by pressing the power button once.
4 / 5
Our Final Verdict
4 / 5
The Boosted Mini X Electric Skateboard could easily be described as small but fierce. At only 29.5 inches long, it’s smaller than most boards, but with the top speed, high gradient percentage, and intuitive braking, it’s clear you are not losing any of the features just because of the portable build. Whether you are looking for something to get you to the grocery store or to work, the Mini X will help you travel quickly and easily.